Imagine coming home after work, cueing up a song on your smartphone, and sending it to speakers throughout your home. Definitive Technology’s W multi-room music system makes this a reality. Their W9 wireless speaker can form the basis of your wireless system, or simply stand on its own as an excellent and elegant music player. Connect it to your Wi-Fi® network, control it with your smartphone or tablet, and you’ll be enjoying a wealth of music in minutes. Add more speakers or components to play different songs in each room, or stream the same tune everywhere in party mode. You’ll quickly discover that convenience doesn’t trump sound quality in this high-performance speaker.
The Definitive Technology W9 offers lots of ways to listen to music. A free app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you’re one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There’s built-in support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM (SiriusXM requires Android device; iOS support coming in 2015). Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
The key to the Definitive Technology W9’s wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the W9 can work with other Play-Fi speakers from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
- six built-in drivers powered by dedicated amplifiers
- two 5-1/4″ front-firing mid/bass drivers, two front-firing 1″ aluminum dome tweeters, and two side-firing 2″ full-range drivers
- tri-polar design offers accurate, balanced sound that’s widely dispersed
- DTS Play-Fi software allows speaker to communicate with other Definitive Technology W devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Definitive Technology/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- optical digital audio input
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player
- Ethernet port
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- play/pause and volume buttons
- AC adapter included
- 16-9/16″W x 7-1/2″H x 8″D