The MP100 is the first dedicated phono preamplifier from McIntosh and is designed to help both new and experienced vinyl lovers get the most fidelity, performance and – most importantly – enjoyment from their albums.
Like all McIntosh products, the MP100 is packed with features designed specifically for the vinyl lover including: Moving Coil and Moving Magnet inputs; Moving Coil and Moving Magnet adjustable loading (6 settings each); balanced and unbalanced analog outputs; optical, coax and USB digital outputs; and a Mono switch for when playing mono records to decrease noise and play the signal correctly. For pure analog use, the digital outputs can be completely disabled and powered down.
There are many ways to integrate the MP100 into your audio system. If you’re new to vinyl and just building your system, it can become the main part of your setup. Or if you already have a system with an older preamp you don’t want to part with, the MP100 is an excellent way to add modern phono features. If you’ve got a home theater system and would like to add a turntable, the MP100 is an easy way to add full phono preamp capabilities without having to get a full-sized stereo preamp that would undoubtedly duplicate many of your home theater processor’s features.
While spinning vinyl on a turntable is a great and unique way to enjoy music, there’s no denying the convenience of having digital versions of the albums. When used with a properly configured conversion program, the MP100 can “rip” the records to a computer via USB to produce high quality digital files. The digital outputs are fixed at 24-bit/96kHz to capture the full dynamic range of a record while optimizing digital file size. If an album has a very loud section, the clipping indicator will alert you so you can lower the digital output in order to produce a distortion-free recording.
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.005%
- Frequency response (+/- 0.3dB): 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Maximum volts out (balanced/unbalanced): 16/8V RMS
- Input impedance – moving coil: 25, 50, 100, 200, 400 or 1k Ohms; 470pF
- Input impedance – moving magnet: 47 ohms; 50, 100, 150, 200, 300 or 400pF
- Phono voltage gain: moving coil 60dB; moving magnet 40dB
- Signal to noise ratio: moving coil 78dB; moving magnet 80dB
- Maximum input signal (moving coil): 8mV
- Maximum input signal (moving magnet): 80mV
- Maximum input signal (balanced): n/a
- Maximum input signal (unbalanced): n/a
- Sensitivity phono (moving coil): 1mV
- Sensitivity phono (moving magnet): 10mV
- Sensitivity (balanced): n/a
- Sensitivity (unbalanced): n/a
- Rated output: 2V balanced, 1V unbalanced
- Output impedance: 200 ohms balanced, 100 ohms unbalanced
- Phono equalization curves: 1:RIAA
- Noise filters: 0
- Phono profiles: 0
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 29.2 x 9.6 x 42.5 cm
- Weight: 3.9 kg