The Artera Solus was designed by veteran Quad engineer Jan Ertner. It includes a line-level preamplifier, a 75Wpc class-AB power amplifier, a headphone amplifier, a DAC, and a CD transport built by JVC.
The Solus’s front panel floats above the unit’s recessed base and features a 2″ circular display with some invisible touch controls. To the right of the display is a CD-loading slot bordered on its right by a rounded-rectangular button for ejecting discs; next to that is a Standby button. Hidden in the shadowed reveal below the front panel are a ¼” headphone jack and an infrared receiver for the remote control.
The back panel features two analog (RCA) inputs and five digital inputs: one USB B (Type B), two optical (TosLink), and two RCA jacks. There are also single-ended and balanced analog outputs—one pair of RCA jacks for the former and a pair of XLR sockets for the latter—plus one RCA digital output jack and one TosLink. Stereo pairs of three-way loudspeaker binding posts are provided, along with a threaded input socket for a Bluetooth antenna. The Solus includes a satchel of handy features, but the most important part of the Artera Solus package might be the plastic 10″ remote. Why? Because most customers will only use the remote. Without it, they would be forced to use either the Quad/FooBar2000 app installed on their mobile device or the invisible, touch-sensitive controls on the unit’s face—although once you know where they are and how to use them, these front-panel controls let you select source, play/pause, and control volume.
The Artera Solus appears to be designed for the music-first audiophile who still likes CDs, isn’t crazy into gear, and wants good, honest sound from a simple audio system.
- Key Technology & Features: DSD (up to DSD256 Compatible) BIuetooth (aptX)
- Audio File Formats: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, MP3, AAC, AAC_HE, AAC+, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256
- D/A Converter: ESS ES9018 32bit DAC
- USB Input: USB B (PC / MAC)
- Digital Audio Inputs: 2x Optical TOSI ink, 2x RCA(DIG1, DIG2)
- Digital Audio Outputs: 1x Optical TOSI ink, 1x RCA (DIG)
- Analog Inputs: 2x RCA (AUX1, AUX2)
- Analog Outputs: 2x RCA, 2x Balanced XLR, 6.3mm Headphone Jack
- Speaker Outputs: Stereo Pair Binding Posts
- Max. sample rates: 384kHz (USB), 192kHz (S/PDIF)
- Sample Rate (Digital Inputs/Outputs): 44.1 -192kHz
- Standby Power Consumption: <0.5W
- Output Level (1 kHz) Variable Output: 0-4V RMS (Pre Outputs); 0-8V RMS (Balanced Outputs)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz, 1 kHz (± 0.2dB)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.002% (20Hz-20kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N): >104dB A-weighted (ref: 1V , Volume=Max.)
- Channel Separation: >100dB (1 kHz)
- Rated Power Output: 75Wpc (8ohms)
- Frequency Response: ± 0.5dB (20Hz-20kHz, 1 kHz)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.009% (1 OW 20Hz-20kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N): >110dB A-weighted (ref: 75W)
- Channel Separation: >82dB A-weighted (ref: 1W)
- Dynamic Range A-wtd: 98dB
- Dimensions: 320 x 320 x 105mm
- Net Weight: 11.84kg